Saturday, September 8, 2007

No doubt about it!

How important is doubt to faith? The Scriptures say that without works, faith is dead. Sometimes it seems to me that when people go through a period of doubt, then faith is made stronger.

In fact, I recently heard that the Jesuit brotherhood of Catholic monks have a strange requirement. A priest cannot complete his Jesuit training unless he has gone through a lengthy period of serious doubt. It is thought that serious doubts about God's existence eventually prove that one's faith is genuine. Without doubt, one's "faith" may just be shallow religious practice.

Kind of deep for today, but what do you think? Have honest doubts actually helped your faith become strong?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I believe "doubt" has helped me to have more faith. Whenever I go through moments of doubt, I'm always brought back around full circle to my faith and how the enemy want's to use my doubt to bring me down. I then find myself more reassured than ever that God is real and alive and at work in my heart.

Anonymous said...

yes, what Tamara said....

Also I have to cling on to my belief and faith more when things are harder to cope with.